Senior Actuarial Analyst - Data Science
Are you interested in applying your actuarial skills in a fun, flexible environment at a collaborative company that provides you with rewarding domestic and global opportunities? If so, the actuarial department of Tokio Marine North America Services (TMNAS) is the place for you.
As part of the Tokio Marine Group, TMNAS provides actuarial consulting and governance services to the group insurance companies of Tokio Marine North America, which have a total annual premium volume of over $4 billion. At TMNAS, you will be exposed to most Property & Casualty insurance lines of business across all fifty states and all market segments. We utilize cutting-edge modeling techniques that employ telematics and other external market data. We drive innovation through the use of automation tools like SQL, R and Python. Our culture emphasizes employee engagement through training and development programs, job rotations across our reserving, ratemaking and enterprise risk management functions, participation in global working groups as well as team-oriented social events.
As an actuarial candidate, TMNAS provides you with the best of all worlds: a small consulting company feel inside a large industry-leading insurance conglomerate, a U.S. -based team working in collaboration with international actuarial colleagues, and experience in all areas of actuarial practice. If you want to join TMNAS and help us deliver exceptional customer service while developing your career skills, apply today!
The TMNAS Actuarial Pricing Section works with internal and external customers to handle pricing needs for sister companies with market share over $3B countrywide. The pricing services include data development, a reporting platform for self-service pricing reports, exposure management, predictive analytics, rate maintenance, large account pricing, and product development.
The Sr. Actuarial Analyst/Actuarial Data Scientist needs to be able to work with internal and external customers to provide the information supporting business decisions. The position requires ability to learn data definitions and structures related to insurance operations and the ability to support a self-service reporting platform for clients. Knowledge of predictive analytics is also required as the company is establishing its predictive analytics services.
- Gather and organize internal and external data into structures that can be used to support the reporting needs of the client sister companies
- Use or create SQL sourced data extracts from source data systems
- Provide support for Predictive Model development including work with external vendors, development of predictive models, validation of models, implementation of models, and maintenance of existing models
- Work within a collaborative team environment
- Design, develop, enhance, produce and interpret key property and casualty insurance reports for both internal and external distribution
- Comply with proper internal controls as necessary to conduct job functions and carry out responsibilities and/or administrative activities
- Successful completion of CAS actuarial exams or the CAS Institute’s Certified Specialist in Predictive Analytics exams within the guidelines set in the TMNAS Actuarial Student Program
- Perform special projects and other duties as may be assigned
- Understanding of quantitative tools, techniques, and statistical methods
- Basic knowledge of approaches, tools, and techniques for recognizing, anticipating, and resolving actuarial, operational, or process problems
- Ability to understand alternative solutions that resolve problems in the best interest of the business
- Demonstrated initiative to seek out work
- Strong drive to accomplish goals
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Technology skills including data organization
- Superior analytical and reasoning skills with the capability to determine the root cause of actuarial-related problems
- Strong attention to detail; ability to process actuarial-related information with high levels of accuracy
- Ability to translate the business needs into usable reports for the client
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Bachelor's degree with a concentration in actuarial science, math, finance, economics, computer science, or information science & technology
- 4+ years of property and casualty experience
- Strong knowledge of SQL required
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly with Microsoft Excel
- Experience with other programming languages (e.g. R or Python) or experience with predictive modeling tools is required
- Prior experience with building, validating, and implementing predictive models required
Tokio Marine Group of Companies (including, but not limited to the Philadelphia Insurance Companies, Tokio Marine America, Inc., TMNA Services, LLC, TM Claims Service, Inc. and First Insurance Company of Hawaii, Ltd.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to remain competitive we must attract, develop, motivate, and retain the most qualified employees regardless of age, color, race, religion, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, family circumstances, life experiences, marital status, military status, sexual orientation and/or any other status protected by law.