IT Manager, Desktop Engineering
Bala Cynwyd, PA
October 10, 2017
At Tokio Marine North American Services, we provide professional support services to the Tokio Marine Group of companies in the United States, including Tokio Marine America Inc., the First Insurance Company of Hawaii, and the Philadelphia Insurance Companies. Among our professional service offerings are actuarial, financial, audit, payroll, human resources, legal, information technology, investment expertise and Corporate Communications. At TMNAS, customer service is our focus and our passion! At TMNAS, we strive to add value in all that we do, providing the best professional service to our business partners, allowing them to achieve their goals.
Oversees all aspects and day-to-day activities of Desktop Engineering function and support staff. The Desktop Engineering Manager leads a team of Desktop Engineers in the delivery of advanced technical support and solution engineering to improve the reliability of the enterprise desktop installed base. The Desktop Engineering Manager serves as the primary desktop/workstation technology expert and is responsible for the design, build, deployment and maintenance of desktop technologies.
- Responsible for the design, delivery and maintenance of a standard desktop technology environment that effectively and efficiently meets TMNA business needs and is aligned with the TMNAS technology roadmap.
- Manages the delivery of desktop engineering services including but not limited to:
- Creation and maintenance of standard desktop and laptop images
- Desktop and laptop builds
- Design management of infrastructure-focused standard desktop architecture, including establishing desktop standards, operating system, type of desktop/laptop imaging etc. across all group companies
- Packaging and deployment of desktop and laptop software including workstation patching
- Tool installation, configuration, management and administration (e.g., SCCM, PDQ)
- Desktop/workstation provisioning and de-provisioning as needed
- Leads the desktop engineering team in the automation and simplification of desktop engineering and management processes
- Manages desktop technology deployment and upgrade projects; manages project plans, timelines, and vendor relationships to ensure projects delivered with the highest quality, on time and within budget.
- Works with internal and third-party teams on desktop technology configuration, integration and deployment activities and projects
- Manages the documentation, scheduling, testing and implementation of changes to the desktop environment in accordance with TMNAS operating guidelines
- Responsible for defining and managing the consistent application of repeatable best practices in compliance with TMNAS architectural standards and engineering methodologies
- Manages desktop capacity planning and configuration management
- Ensure the Desktop Engineer team provides tier 3 support for the desktop support team
- Builds high performance teams through effectively training, mentoring, delegating, and providing feedback to Desktop Engineering staff.
- Manages service delivery teams and individual objectives, performance and development.
- Monitors and reports on service delivery metrics and overall performance of the department. Coordinates and manages planned change initiatives and operations.
- Participates in negotiation of Service Level Agreements, ensures SLAs are met; when SLAs are not met, leads improvement efforts.
- Serves as focal point of communication for major service outages/escalations.
- Complies with proper internal controls as necessary to conduct job functions and/or carry out responsibilities and/or administrative activities at the Company.
- Establishes and builds strong working relations and partnerships with Business Units and Senior Management.
- Performs special projects and other duties as may be assigned.
- Supports system development needs resulting from Disaster Recovery (DR) plan development
Degree / Licenses and Professional Certifications
- Bachelor's degree in Business, MIS or Computer Science
- ITIL Foundations v3; Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) certifications required
- Insurance industry experience preferred.
- 8+ years relevant experience.
- Prior engineering team lead experience
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft Windows desktop operating systems, Microsoft SCCM, virtual desktop technologies, antivirus deployments and other desktop technologies required
- Demonstrated experience with a wide range of desktop technologies including but not limited to:
- Microsoft technologies (e.g. Windows, Active Directory, Exchange, Office365, SharePoint)
- Workstation imaging and software deployment tools (e.g., SCCM, PDQ)
- Virtualization (Hyper-V, VMWare)
- Anti-virus and data encryption solutions
- Experience with IT Service Management frameworks such as ITIL v3
- Experience with ServiceNow ITSM solution preferred
- Demonstrated experience designing, documenting and implementing desktop engineering processes and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects/priorities in a deadline-driven environment
- Preferred (but not required) relevant certifications:
- ITIL Intermediate v3: Service Transition, Control and Validation, Service Operation, Operational Support and Analysis, Continual Service Improvement
- MSCE-related: Enterprise Devices & Applications, and Messaging
- VMware Certified Professional (VCP)
- Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP): Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Support Technician, Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Administrator
- CompTIA: A+, CTT+, Mobility+
- Cisco Certified Network Professional
- Ability to weigh business needs against security concerns and articulate to management.
- Knowledge of organizational politics and political tactics; ability to effectively navigate formal and informal communication and decision-making channels.
- Knowledge, insight, and understanding of business concepts and processes that are needed for making sound decisions in the context of the company's business; ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, and strong knowledge in Microsoft Excel preferred.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong customer service orientation toward Business Units requiring financial consultation (responsive, consultative, collaborative and accurate).
- Strong leadership ability; able to work with a group to set its objectives and agenda, generate allegiance to those objectives, and guide and motivate achievement.
- Strong project management skills: Plan, organize, monitor, and control projects, ensuring efficient utilization of resources, to achieve project objectives and deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal relationship building skills: able to work with a variety of people and groups in a constructive and collaborative manner.
- Strong analytical ability with the capability to determine the root cause of problems and issues and provide solutions.
- Strategic thinking; Applies organizational acumen to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for the organization.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Ability to juggle multiple, competing, frequently changing time-sensitive deadlines and priorities
- Ability to work independently and without supervision.
- Ability to work and lead effectively as part of a team.
Tokio Marine Group of Companies (including, but not limited to the Philadelphia Insurance Companies, Tokio Marine America, Inc., TMNA Services, LLC and First Insurance Company of Hawaii, Ltd.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to remain competitive we must attract, develop, motivate, and retain the most qualified employees regardless of age, color, race, religion, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, family circumstances, life experiences, marital status, military status, sexual orientation and/or any other status protected by law.