Sr. Business Analyst- Business Intelligence
Bala Cynwyd, PA
The Sr. Business Analyst – Business Intelligence is responsible for working with business stakeholders to define business requirements and priorities in support of Business Information and Reporting Strategy. In this role, he/she is expected to work with our business stakeholders, architects, development teams to analyze and document analytical business/data requirements and apply BI tools and techniques to support business and project objectives. A candidate for this position must be able to work in a varied, fast-paced environment as part of a service delivery function for TMNA Services (TMNAS) and its Group Companies and is expected to possess advanced skills in key areas (articulated below). The Sr. Business Analyst - BI is also responsible for working with the Business Relationship Manager to help manage the intake of requests for IT support from the various business units, work with business leaders to solicit, analyze, and document business needs, work with the architects and system leads to facilitate the development of solution concepts to evaluate the feasibility/cost benefit of those solutions, and to plan the execution of work.
- Participate in the analysis, requirements, design and implementation of the information and data reporting solutions
- Responsible for decomposing broad business information needs into well-defined data requirements including business measures, reference data, business data definitions
- Participate in identifying, evaluating, and recommending potential solution options.
- Responsible for the analysis, business requirements, functional specifications and data mapping
- Work with business users to solicit, analyze, and document business needs around information delivery and presentation in a business requirements document
- Document business/data requirements from source and target applications to support reporting as well data prep, staging and presentation
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of SDLC artifacts for reporting solutions
- Responsible for managing communications between IT and business for assigned work.
- Working knowledge of Cognos or similar BI tools is preferred.
- Working knowledge with SQL on SQL Server or similar DB technologies is preferred.
- Define acceptance criteria as part of requirements
- Participate in on-going operational L3 support and maintenance for implemented reports
- Provide resolution of support tickets and ad hoc requests per established SLAs.
- Provide resolution of various reporting issues reported
- Develop procedures and queries for analysis of reports.
- Maintain the reports integrity by establishing, automating and enhancing operational checks, balance routines and maintaining KPIs
- Work collaboratively with architects, technical leads and subject matter experts of the various upstream and downstream systems responsible for sending data in support of existing reports
- Define acceptance criteria as part of requirements
- Review test plans and test cases. Participate in UAT execution and support end user training, as required
- Participate in deployments and smoke testing during release weekends.
- Align to the maintenance and enforcement of SDLC processes, departmental standards, style requirements and all other procedures necessary for data and system integrity.
- Comply with proper internal controls as necessary to conduct job functions and/or carry out responsibilities and/or administrative activities at the company.
- Perform special projects and other duties as may be assigned
Degree / Licenses and Professional Certifications
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, Engineering or a related technical discipline preferred
- Insurance knowledge/certifications preferred
- 7-10 years of prior experience focused in developing reporting solutions, analysis and documentation of requirements required
- Experience writing business requirements and functional specs. Ability to decompose complex business and data requirements into specifications for developers
- Experience with SQL query-writing and BI tools such as Business Objects, Cognos, etc. is preferred
- Experience working in insurance industry P&C sector is preferred
- Experience and knowledge of SQL and XML
- Experience and knowledge of Cognos or similar BI tools is preferred
- Experience supporting stakeholder interviews and design sessions
- Experience defining requirements for metrics/scorecards, dashboards, OLAP analysis, ad-hoc, and structured reports
- Experience working in insurance industry P&C sector is a plus
- Ability to lead and manage small/medium projects
- Demonstrated experience gathering BI and DW requirements
- Demonstrated problem solving, collaboration, and analytical skills
- Demonstrated experience with and understanding of various SDLC methodologies
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with various levels of IT management, staff and business stakeholders.
- Working knowledge of BI and DW concepts and principles
- Knowledge of Data Quality concepts and experience of operationalizing it is preferred
- Knowledge of Property & Casualty Insurance terminologies and processes is preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Visio, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Access).
- Knowledge of the concepts, and best practices for Reports development
- Knowledge of SDLC and software support and maintenance approaches
- Knowledge of approaches, tools, techniques for recognizing, anticipating, and resolving organizational, operational, or process problems, ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations.
- Knowledge of approaches, tools, and techniques for design and development of paper-based and online technical reference documentation, guidelines, standards, procedures, processes, applications, etc.
- Knowledge of HP Application Lifecycle Management and Service Now for tracking work items is a plus
*Role cannot be filled by an applicant residing in the state of Colorado
Tokio Marine Group of Companies (including, but not limited to the Philadelphia Insurance Companies, Tokio Marine America, Inc., TMNA Services, LLC, TM Claims Service, Inc. and First Insurance Company of Hawaii, Ltd.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to remain competitive we must attract, develop, motivate, and retain the most qualified employees regardless of age, color, race, religion, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, family circumstances, life experiences, marital status, military status, sexual orientation and/or any other status protected by law.