Sr. Business Intelligence (BI) Developer - Cognos (Sr. Programmer)
Bala Cynwyd, PA
December 11, 2020
The Sr. BI Developer (Sr. Programmer) is responsible for building new reports and maintaining existing reports using various data sources in the Corporate Reporting environment for TMNA group companies. This role interacts with Business Analysts to review data and reporting requirements, create and execute on testing plans, and support User Acceptance process, all in accordance with the Data Development Lifecycle (DDLC) methodologies. This role will work with our business stakeholders, architects, and BA and QA teams to implement new reporting and analytics solutions and apply BI tools and techniques to support business and project objectives. A candidate for this position must be able to work in a varied, fast paced environment as part a service delivery function for TMNA Services (TMNAS) and its Group Companies and is expected to possess advanced skills in key areas (articulated below).
- Participate in the analysis, requirements, design and implementation of the information and data reporting solutions
- Design, develop, implement and maintain reporting solutions using Cognos per reporting requirements
- Responsible for the development/support of MS SQL code including complex SQL queries, stored procedures, views, and functions with an understanding of performance factors (indexing, execution plans)
- Work with data warehouse team to enhance data mart models that support the Cognos Framework models
- Participate in identifying, evaluating, and recommending potential solution options
- Ensure accuracy and integrity of data through analysis and unit testing
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of SDLC artifacts related to data integration implementation
- Provide on-going production support and maintenance for Corporate Reporting.
- Provide resolution of support and maintenance tickets per established SLAs.
- Provide technical assistance to inquiries regarding issues and/or questions about reports
- Monitor SQL processes and create improvements to performance where applicable
- Adhere to Data Development Lifecycle (DDLC) practices for documentation and change management procedures.
- Maintain the reports integrity by establishing, automating and enhancing operational checks, balance routines and maintaining KPIs
- Work collaboratively with architects, technical leads and subject matter experts of the various upstream and downstream systems responsible for sending data in support of existing reports
- Participate in deployments and smoke testing during monthly releases.
- Align to the maintenance and enforcement of SDLC processes, departmental standards, style requirements and all other procedures necessary for data and system integrity.
- Comply with proper internal controls as necessary to conduct job functions and/or carry out responsibilities and/or administrative activities at the company.
- Perform special projects and other duties as may be assigned
Degree / Licenses and Professional Certifications
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, Engineering or a related technical discipline preferred
- Insurance knowledge/certifications preferred
- 7-10 years of prior experience focused in developing reporting solutions
- 7 years prior experience with BI Tools (Cognos, SSRS)
- 5 years professional development experience in SQL 2014 or 2016
- Knowledge and experience in full lifecycle development and deployment of BI reporting solutions
- Advanced knowledge of creating, analyzing and debugging stored procedures
- High proficiency in understanding relational data models and data analysis
- Experience in database query optimization
- Strong Knowledge of T-SQL and XML
- Experience in dashboarding/data visualizations using Power BI or Tableau is preferred
- Experience working in insurance industry P&C sector is a plus
- Ability to lead and manage small/medium projects
- Demonstrated experience gathering BI and DW requirements
- Demonstrated problem solving, collaboration, and analytical skills
- Demonstrated experience with and understanding of various SDLC methodologies
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with various levels of IT management, staff and business stakeholders.
- Working knowledge of BI and DW concepts and principles
- Knowledge of Data Quality concepts and experience of operationalizing it is preferred
- Knowledge of Property & Casualty Insurance terminologies and processes is preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Visio, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Access).
- Knowledge of the concepts, and best practices for Reports development
- Knowledge of SDLC and software support and maintenance approaches
- Knowledge of approaches, tools, techniques for recognizing, anticipating, and resolving organizational, operational, or process problems, ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations.
- Knowledge of approaches, tools, and techniques for design and development of paper-based and online technical reference documentation, guidelines, standards, procedures, processes, applications, etc.
- Knowledge of HP Application Lifecycle Management and Service Now for tracking work items is a plus
Tokio Marine Group of Companies (including, but not limited to the Philadelphia Insurance Companies, Tokio Marine America, Inc., TMNA Services, LLC, TM Claims Service, Inc. and First Insurance Company of Hawaii, Ltd.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to remain competitive we must attract, develop, motivate, and retain the most qualified employees regardless of age, color, race, religion, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, family circumstances, life experiences, marital status, military status, sexual orientation and/or any other status protected by law.