Bala Cynwyd, PA
October 31, 2019
The Virtualization Engineer leads a team of Infrastructure Engineers in the delivery of advanced technical support and solution engineering to improve the reliability of the TMNAS compute infrastructure. The Virtualization Engineer serves as the primary compute and virtualization technology expert and is responsible for the design, build, deployment and maintenance of compute technologies. The role requires an in-depth knowledge of Microsoft Windows operating systems, VMware technologies, server hardware technologies, Citrix and other compute and virtualization technologies.
- Leads the design, delivery maintenance of a standard compute technology environment that effectively and efficiently meets TMNA business needs and is aligned with the TMNAS technology roadmap
- Leads the compute engineering team in the automation and simplification of compute engineering and management processes
- Coordinates compute technology deployment/upgrade projects
- Participate in the evaluation, implementation and deployment of processes & capabilities to advance TMNAS hybrid-cloud strategy.
- Develop and maintain systems management tools to manage hybrid-cloud infrastructure provisioning, monitoring, auditing, de-provisioning using Python, PowerShell, Ansible, Puppet and other tools.
- Develops the documentation, scheduling, testing and implementation of changes to the compute environment in accordance with TMNAS operating guidelines
- Develops SOP's for the service desk and infrastructure operation teams, including but not limited to tasks such as automation tasks, VMware and Citrix operational tasks as well as hardware maintenance tasks.
- Provides Tier 3 support as needed
- Assists with the design of the standard compute architecture (infrastructure focused)
- Participates in the implementation of best practice security measures to protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of TMNA data
- Works with internal and third-party teams on compute technology configuration, integration and deployment activities and projects
- Responsible for defining and managing the consistent application of repeatable best practices in compliance with TMNAS architectural standards and engineering methodology
- Complies with proper internal controls as necessary to conduct job functions and/or carry out responsibilities and/or administration activities at the Company.
- Performs special products and other duties as may be assigned.
Degree/Licenses and Professional Certifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, MIS, or Computer Science, or related field preferred
- IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL Foundations v3)
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MSCE)preferred
- Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP) preferred
- VMware VCP preferred
- 7+ years of experience in a compute engineering role
- Demonstrated expertise with a wide range of compute technologies including but not limited to:
- Microsoft technologies (e.g. Windows, Active Directory)
- Cloud providers and IaaS (e.g. Azure, AWS)
- Hybrid Cloud Automation Platform (VRA/Cloudbolt/Terraform)
- Virtualization technologies (Hyper-V, VMWare)
- Software Defined Networking (NSX/ACI)
- Replication technologies (RP4VM/Zerto/Rubrik/Veem/Cohesity)
- Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop
- Server Hardware including hyper-converged (e.g. Cisco, Dell)
- Understanding of SAN infrastructure (e.g. Dell/EMC, Pure)
- Understanding of network infrastructure (e.g. Cisco)
- Experience with Public Cloud Migrations and Management (e.g. Azure & AWS)
- Proficient in developing scripts and scripting languages
- Familiarity with DevOps & CI/CD concepts and tools
Experience with IT service management frameworks such as ITIL v3
Demonstrated experience designing, documenting and implementing compute engineering processes and procedures
Prior engineering team lead experience and ability to motivate staff to perform their best to achieve desired results
Demonstrated project management experience working on multiple projects/priorities in a deadline-driven environment
- Knowledge of organizational politics and political tactics; ability to effectively navigate formal and informal communication and decision-making channels.
- Knowledge, insight, and understanding of business concepts and processes that are needed for making sound decisions in the context of the company's business; ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Strong customer service orientation toward Business Units requiring financial consultation (responsive, consultative, collaborative and accurate).
- Strong project management skills: Plan, organize, monitor, and control projects, ensuring efficient utilization of resources, to achieve project objectives and deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal relationship building skills: able to work with a variety of people and groups in a constructive and collaborative manner.
- Strong analytical ability with the capability to determine the root cause of problems and issues and provide solutions.
- Strategic thinking; Applies organizational acumen to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for the organization.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Ability to juggle multiple, competing, frequently changing time-sensitive deadlines and priorities
- Ability to work independently and without supervision.
- Ability to work and lead effectively as part of a team.
Tokio Marine Group of Companies (including, but not limited to the Philadelphia Insurance Companies, Tokio Marine America, Inc., TMNA Services, LLC, TM Claims Service, Inc. and First Insurance Company of Hawaii, Ltd.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to remain competitive we must attract, develop, motivate, and retain the most qualified employees regardless of age, color, race, religion, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, family circumstances, life experiences, marital status, military status, sexual orientation and/or any other status protected by law.