Bala Cynwyd, PA
AVP, Custom Apps and Reporting
Directs, manages, plans and administers the operational and administrative activities of a service delivery function and support staff. The AVP for Custom Apps and Reporting is responsible for the design, development and implementation of applications and corporate reporting activities for TMNAS in support of its group companies. Areas of responsibility include functional and technical design, programming, software maintenance and support for a range of custom developed in-house applications, corporate SharePoint and corporate reporting platforms. In this role, he/she will be expected to possess advance development skills in key technologies articulated below and provide technical mentorship and leadership to a team. This position is responsible for the proactive support of software applications with a focus on achieving business process efficiency and service excellence, deliver quality software and meet timeline commitments.
- Responsible and accountable for day-to-day IT activities involving functional and technical design, software development, systems integration and application support for applications and reports across multiple group companies.
- Manage multiple service delivery teams; lead technical implementation for projects related work and on-going production support and maintenance for existing applications.
- Oversee existing managed services arrangements. Enforce common policies and checkpoints across existing vendors’ delivery.
- Responsible and accountable for day-to-day support, development and maintenance of internal sites and solutions on SharePoint platform. Contribute to company initiatives of evolution from on-premises to SharePoint Online and OS 365.
- Ensures appropriate and timely participation in all corporate planning and implementation projects and initiatives.
- Oversee the maintenance and enforcement of SDLC processes, departmental standards, style requirements and all other procedures necessary for data and system integrity.
- Responsible and accountable for day-to-day design, development and maintenance of corporate reporting solutions on Cognos BI platform and SSRS legacy platform. Contribute to growing and enabling additional Cognos platform's capabilities, such as self-service, ad hoc query, personalization and visualization capabilities
- Oversee BI and data management, as well as reporting operations. Enforce processes and implement governance models around BI systems and data
- Set priorities, provide guidance & strategic direction, driving several projects simultaneously
- Establish processes and tools to measure and report on coding and software support efficiency, pace and quality applications and reporting
- Collaborate with multiple technology teams (PMO, Integration services, EA, Infrastructure, Security and Data warehouse) to deliver projects and ensure proper implementation
- Recommend designs and monitors team process improvement activities aimed at reducing costs, improving quality and speed to market.
- Manage and provide resolution of support and maintenance tickets per established SLAs.
- Responsible to lead the team to achieve quality in advanced planning and execution, realize benefits and innovation, providing exceptional services and solutions delivery
- Direct the management of staff, including orientation, training, and performance management and counseling as needed.
- Maintain productive vendor relationships and vendor/partner philosophy.
- Contributes in business case justifications and cost/benefit analyses for IT spending and initiatives.
- Complies with proper internal controls as necessary to conduct job functions and/or carry out responsibilities and/or administrative activities at the Company.
- Establishes and builds strong working relations and partnerships with Business Unit and Senior Management.
- Performs special projects and other duties as may be assigned.
Degree / Licenses and Professional Certifications
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science, cyber security, mathematics or science required.
- IT or business-related post-graduate degree preferred
- IT process or framework certifications (ITIL, COBIT, PMP) a plus
- Applied development or architecture certifications a plus
- 10+ years of technology management in Application Development and Business Intelligence to design, deliver and support technology solutions.
- Experience managing .Net and/or Java development required
- Experience managing and supporting applications is required
- Experience managing and supporting Cognos BI platform
- Strong project management vision and experience is required
- Experience managing teams supporting applications in a 24x7 environment is required
- Experience with extensive partner engagement (on or offshore) is preferred
- Experience in a shared service delivery environment is preferred
- Experience with SharePoint platforms and MS Office 365 is a plus
- Experience with common Insurance industry package software a plus
- Experience with enterprise architecture processes and concepts
The successful candidate must clearly exhibit all of the following officer level competencies TMNAS IT has defined for its officer core:
- Coaching and Developing Others
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Driving Results
- Service Focus
- Strategic Thinking
- Knowledge of SDLC and software support and maintenance approaches
- Knowledge of development efficiency measurement and reporting approaches and techniques.
- Knowledge of organizational politics and political tactics; ability to effectively navigate formal and informal communication and decision-making channels.
- Knowledge, insight, and understanding of business concepts and processes that are needed for making sound decisions in the context of the company's business; ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations.
- Knowledge of modeling normalized and dimensional data marts/warehouses with ER tools such as ERwin, ER/Studio, PowerDesigner
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills.
- Strong customer service orientation
- Strong software development management skills
- Strong project management skills
- Strong interpersonal relationship building skills: able to work with a variety of people and groups in a constructive and collaborative manner.
- Strong analytical ability with the capability to determine the root cause of problems and issues and provide solutions.
- Ability to present complex ideas in a clear, concise fashion to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Superior attention to detail.
- Ability to juggle multiple, competing, frequently changing time-sensitive deadlines and priorities
- Ability to work independently and without supervision.
- Ability to work and lead effectively as part of a team.
Tokio Marine Group of Companies (including, but not limited to the Philadelphia Insurance Companies, Tokio Marine America, Inc., TMNA Services, LLC, TM Claims Service, Inc. and First Insurance Company of Hawaii, Ltd.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to remain competitive we must attract, develop, motivate, and retain the most qualified employees regardless of age, color, race, religion, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, family circumstances, life experiences, marital status, military status, sexual orientation and/or any other status protected by law.