Sr. Manager, Database Administration
Bala Cynwyd, PA
Sr. Manager, Database Administration
The Sr. Manager, Database Administration is responsible for the integrity, performance and security of all enterprise database systems. Leads a team of Database Administrators (DBA’s) in support of database related activities, both project and operational based. Ensures reliability, availability, security and scalability of all databases, primarily utilizing Microsoft SQL Server. Provides hands on technical expertise, provides senior level technical guidance to staff, project leaders and other teams as necessary. Maintains positive interdepartmental relationships and provides leadership to continuously improve the DBA function by encouraging process improvement, implementation of best practices, and employee training.
- Establishes baseline service level objectives for database administration services.
- Designs, implements, manages and sustains database services internally or via partners, including all industry-standard people, process and tool features and components. This includes:
- Software Maintenance: Ensure database product maintenance patches and upgrades are conducted on a regular basis to provide a stable and supportable platform.
- Day-Day operational Support: Develop processes for database monitoring, tuning and maintenance to ensure performance and availability service levels are met.
- Job Schedules : Proactive management and execution of associated job schedules
- Capacity Planning: Manage capacity and resources planning. Identify opportunities to minimize database growth and licensing requirements while forecasting that appropriate resources are provisioned to meet business demands.
- Database Security: Secures databases by implementing appropriate controls and access.
- Collaboratively works with other IT leaders, developers and programmers to assist with code reviews to insure performance optimization.
- Ensures databases have adequate backup and recovery procedures in place to recover from any loss of data.
- Continuously develops, documents and implements improvements to core operational procedures, processes, standards and guidelines.
- Establish best practice standards for database design, architecture and implementation to ensure reliability, efficiency, cost containment, security and quality. Leads development of proper database designs in support of business applications.
- Performs special projects and other duties as may be assigned.
- Provides overall direction and guidance to staff. Acts as a go-to person to technically guide and motivate staff. Responsible for functions related to recruiting, employee evaluations and turnover.
- Complies with proper internal controls as necessary to conduct job functions and/or carry out responsibilities and/or administrative activities at the Company.
Degree / Licenses and Professional Certifications
- Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA) or equivalent.
- ITILv3 certification preferred
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 10 years of database administration experience with at least 5 years in a senior/lead role.
- 2-5 years in a management position leading a DBA team including personnel management. Responsibilities must have included database operations, backup and recovery, performance tuning and database related project leadership in a large corporate environment (>1000 users).
- Proven experience with application and software development life cycle methodologies.
- Proven knowledge of database tools, products and design.
- Significant experience with incident management and cross-discipline structured troubleshooting required.
- Experience working with and managing both on and off-shore resources and partners preferred.
- Ability to weigh business needs versus operational risks and costs
- Ability to effectively navigate formal and informal communication and decision-making channels.
- Knowledge, insight, and understanding of business concepts and processes that are needed for making sound decisions in the context of the company's business; ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations.
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills.
- Strong customer service orientation toward Business Departments and Group Companies requiring consultation (responsive, consultative, collaborative and accurate).
- Strong leadership ability; able to work with a group to set its objectives and agenda, generate allegiance to those objectives, and guide and motivate achievement.
- Strong incident management skills: able to plan, coordinate, drive and communicate during urgent incidents.
- Strong interpersonal relationship building skills: able to work with a variety of people and groups in a constructive and collaborative manner.
- Superior attention to detail.
Tokio Marine Group of Companies (including, but not limited to the Philadelphia Insurance Companies, Tokio Marine America, Inc., TMNA Services, LLC, TM Claims Service, Inc. and First Insurance Company of Hawaii, Ltd.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to remain competitive we must attract, develop, motivate, and retain the most qualified employees regardless of age, color, race, religion, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, family circumstances, life experiences, marital status, military status, sexual orientation and/or any other status protected by law.