TMNAS is seeking an experienced Portfolio Manager to lead the initiatives for one of our group companies. In this key role the Portfolio Manager will have execution ownership and is expected to partner with the client to ensure all deliveries meet expectations. The person in this role is expected to be an excellent communicator with the ability to have open honest conversations with all levels within the organizations and be able to work in a varied, fast paced environment.
- Ensure that the projects and enhancements within their portfolio are delivered as planned with commitments for on time delivery, budgets and quality
- Manage their overall portfolio budget, inclusive of management reserves, to within approved variances
- Provide mentorship, guidance and oversight to the project managers assigned to their portfolio
- Drive the deliverable estimation process and negotiate resource conflicts with other portfolio managers or resources managers
- Set priorities, provide strategic direction, and drive multiple projects simultaneously
- Build strong relationships with business and technology leaders
- Develop an understanding of business area opportunities and challenges, and the impacts to processes and systems when implementing requested solutions
- Work closely with the Business Relationship Management Team to plan and manage the intake of new demand initiatives into their portfolio
- Ensure that both business and IT sponsors and stakeholders are well informed on the status of their portfolios
- Provide ongoing status updates on project progress, risks, change management and issue resolution
- Lead issue identification, tracking, escalation and resolution actions
- Monitors risk events before becoming issues and potential roadblocks
- Report on Key Performance Indicators and work to achieve agreed upon Service Level Agreements for projects and their overall portfolio
- As needed and as time allows, provide hands-on project management for selected projects
- Ensure that the projects and enhancements within their portfolio follow standard processes and meet all audit and compliance requirements
- Participate as a member of the PMO leadership team focused on high performance and continuous improvement
Degree / Licenses and Professional Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree in related discipline
- Master’s degree preferred
- Project Management Institute PMP Certification desired (willingness to obtain within a year of hire)
- 8+ years of project management experience guiding medium to large sized projects to implementation with a track record of success
- 2+ years of program or portfolio management experience
- Experience managing projects in financial services or insurance companies; commercial property and casualty insurance a plus
- Experience managing project teams operating within a matrix organization
- Experience managing 3rd party vendors on projects
- Experience managing application development projects, technical infrastructure projects and software upgrades
- Experience managing Agile or Iterative development projects desired
- Experience consulting with project stakeholders, including the skills to resolve conflicting requirements
- Strong knowledge of portfolio and project management tools and methods
- Strong understanding of Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) discipline
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Project and Project Server
- Knowledge, insight, and understanding of business concepts and processes that are needed for making sound decisions in the context of the company's business; ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations
- Prior use of Apptio for project financial planning is a plus
- Execution oriented with a strong attention to detail
- Strong project management skills with the ability to plan, organize, monitor, and control projects, and ensure efficient utilization of resources to achieve project objectives and deadlines.
- Strong technical leadership skills with the ability to lead by example, work with a group to set its objectives and agenda, generate allegiance to those objectives, and guide and motivate achievement
- Strong consulting and stakeholder management skills and the ability to build and foster relationships
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to determine the root cause of problems and issues and provide recommended solutions
- Strong conflict resolution and problem solving skills.
- Exceptional presentation skills with the ability to present to senior levels of management and to facilitate discussions at the senior stakeholder level
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to have open honest conversations with all levels of the organization.
- Strong interpersonal relationship building skills with the ability to work with a variety of people and groups in a constructive and collaborative manner.
- Ability to work independently, multi-task, and take ownership of various parts of a project or initiative
- Ability to lead and influence in the coaching and mentoring of team members to help them achieve individual expectations and deliverables
- Ability to juggle multiple, competing, frequently changing time-sensitive deadlines and priorities
- Ability to work independently and without supervision.
- Ability to work and lead effectively as part of a team
- Ability to cultivate a strong team environment
- Ability to work in a matrix environment and partner with virtual teams
Tokio Marine Group of Companies (including, but not limited to the Philadelphia Insurance Companies, Tokio Marine America, Inc., TMNA Services, LLC, TM Claims Service, Inc. and First Insurance Company of Hawaii, Ltd.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to remain competitive we must attract, develop, motivate, and retain the most qualified employees regardless of age, color, race, religion, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, family circumstances, life experiences, marital status, military status, sexual orientation and/or any other status protected by law.