IT AVP for Business Analysis
Bala Cynwyd, PA
September 27, 2018
The AVP for Business Analysis will oversee the strategic development and daily operation of TMNAS’ business analysis team, including employees and contract resources. The BA team of more than 20 members provides a variety of business-engaged services for the group companies we support. Teams are organized by business process or system area generally, and provide services ranging from requirements definition and solutioning, to production support, as well as targeted services related to product management, business process optimization, model office support and other areas. The BA area exists as part of the Business Experience domain in the TMNAS Information Technology department.
- Directs the day-to-day operations of the Business Analysis team, including working with BA Managers and Senior Managers to ensure appropriate task coverage and project engagement
- Provides strategic vision for development and evolution of the BA team
- Makes recommendations to the VP Business Experience for process improvement and service development
- Sponsors and guides additive BA-centric initiatives, such as:
- Business Process Re-engineering efforts
- TM Global BA Academy
- Leads the TMNAS BA Center of Excellence, which sets standards and practices to be used across our group companies, and also participates as part of the broader Tokio Marine BA Academy steering committee.
- Monitors and reports on BA-related service delivery metrics and overall performance of the department. Manages planned change initiatives and operations.
- Manages BA team and sets individual objectives for direct report Sr. Managers and staff, including emphasis on individual and team performance and skills development.
- Collaboratively develops/obtains BA standards and management tools, particularly as it relates to requirements management.
- Builds high performance teams through a concerted focus on staff development including training, mentoring, delegating, and providing feedback to members of the Department.
- Complies with and supports the development or evolution of proper internal controls and procedures necessary to conduct job functions and/or carry out responsibilities and/or administrative activities at the Company.
- Establishes and builds strong working relations and partnerships with Business Units and Senior Management.
- Participate in the overall Project Management process, including reviews, proposals, and process optimization.
- Performs special projects and other duties as may be assigned.
Degree / Licenses and Professional Certifications
- Bachelor's degree in MIS, IT, or appropriate Business-related area required.
- Master’s or MBA degree preferred.
- CBAP, PBA or BCS-BA certifications strongly preferred
- CAPM or PMP a plus
- 10+ years relevant experience managing BA teams in a complex, matrixed environment.
- 5+ years relevant senior management of a BA organization of more than 15 team members is required
- Experience working with interdisciplinary teams required
- BA experience in the insurance industry (P&C) is strongly preferred
- Business process optimization or re-engineering experience preferred
- Experience working in a shared services or multi-corporate environment is preferred.
- Knowledge of HP ALM and/or other typical industry packages for requirements gathering and tracking required
- Ability to weigh business needs against security concerns and articulate to management.
- Knowledge of organizational politics and political tactics; ability to effectively navigate formal and informal communication and decision-making channels.
- Knowledge, insight, and understanding of business concepts and processes that are needed for making sound decisions in the context of the company's business; ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Ability to write business requirements and functional specifications.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Strong customer service orientation toward Business Units requiring financial consultation (responsive, consultative, collaborative and accurate).
- Strong leadership ability; able to work with a group to set its objectives and agenda, generate allegiance to those objectives, and guide and motivate achievement.
- Strong project management skills: Plan, organize, monitor, and control projects, ensuring efficient utilization of resources, to achieve project objectives and deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal relationship building skills: able to work with a variety of people and groups in a constructive and collaborative manner.
- Sophisticated team and individual management capabilities that strike the relight balance between managing details and managing direction.
- Strong analytical ability with the capability to determine the root cause of problems and issues and provide solutions.
- Strategic thinking; Applies organizational acumen to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for the organization.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Ability to juggle multiple, competing, frequently changing time-sensitive deadlines and priorities
- Ability to work independently and without supervision.
- Ability to work and lead effectively as part of a team.
Tokio Marine Group of Companies (including, but not limited to the Philadelphia Insurance Companies, Tokio Marine America, Inc., TMNA Services, LLC, TM Claims Service, Inc. and First Insurance Company of Hawaii, Ltd.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to remain competitive we must attract, develop, motivate, and retain the most qualified employees regardless of age, color, race, religion, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, family circumstances, life experiences, marital status, military status, sexual orientation and/or any other status protected by law.