Business Relationship Manager
Bala Cynwyd, PA
December 28, 2018
The role of the Business Relationship Manager (BRM) is a business-facing role that acts as the primary intermediary between the business and IT. As a strategic interface with assigned business units and a trusted advisor to senior business executives, the BRM ensures alignment to the business. This alignment between IT and corporate departments helps balance expectations, priorities, service levels and investment. The BRM establishes and maintains value-driven, strategic relationships within budget parameters that proactively manage business demand, advise on strategy and gauge customer satisfaction. These items are accomplished by creating a prioritized project portfolio, participating in strategic planning activities and assessing feedback from customer surveys.
- Build trusted relationships with key client representatives to identify and prioritize opportunities that effectively enable business objectives through technology solutions.
- Manage business relationships by collaborating with internal and external customers to ensure that projects, systems and enhancements are delivered in an efficient and effective manner.
- Actively monitor client satisfaction in light of current projects/outstanding issue status, based upon defined expectations, and take appropriate actions.
- Assist business leaders in articulating technology needs and requirements that enable and enhance business performance.
- Lead pre-project solution approach and estimation efforts to document scope and cost implications of potential technology projects.
- Conduct thorough evaluation during pre-concept stages of all engagements.
- Create and maintain a clear, prioritized portfolio of projects to articulate client technology needs.
- Lead development of cost benefit analysis for client requested technology projects.
- Working Knowledge of the Property and Casualty industry, major processes and key performance indicators for an Insurance Carrier.
- Serves as a subject matter expert responsible for assisting the business users with analyzing the business needs, defining the detailed requirements, validating solutions, and using business system applications.
- Must have an understanding of the insurance product development lifecycle and its impact on IT.
- Complies with proper internal controls as necessary to conduct job functions and/or carry out responsibilities and/or administrative activities at the Company.
- Performs special projects and other duties as may be assigned.
Degree / Licenses and Professional Certifications
- Bachelor's or master's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration, or other related field or equivalent work experience
- Formal IT or Insurance qualifications (CPCU, CSPO, CSM, etc. preferred)
- 7-10 years of IT and business work experience with a broad range of exposure to various technical environments and business segments
- Experience working in a matrix and/or shared services environment
- Three or more years of experience with managing teams
- Extensive experience in strategic planning, business development or client management
- Experience with program and portfolio management (desirable)
- Deep experience engaging with senior leadership
- Subject matter expertise relevant to assigned business area
- Demonstrated breadth and in-depth knowledge of assigned business areas
- Solid understanding of current and planned architecture, platforms and solutions that support the business
- Broad understanding of the current and emerging technology, trends and developments
- Strong working knowledge of governance policies and practices
Tokio Marine Group of Companies (including, but not limited to the Philadelphia Insurance Companies, Tokio Marine America, Inc., TMNA Services, LLC, TM Claims Service, Inc. and First Insurance Company of Hawaii, Ltd.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to remain competitive we must attract, develop, motivate, and retain the most qualified employees regardless of age, color, race, religion, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, family circumstances, life experiences, marital status, military status, sexual orientation and/or any other status protected by law.