IT Manager, Vendor Managed Apps
Bala Cynwyd, PA
Tokio Marine North America Services (TMNAS) provides professional support services to Tokio Marine Group companies in the United States, including Tokio Marine America, First Insurance Company of Hawaii, and Philadelphia Insurance Companies. Our talented team delivers actuarial, audit, corporate communications, financial and investment, human capital services, information technology, legal, and payroll expertise to our customers. Customer service is our focus and our passion! TMNAS adds value in all that we do, providing the best professional service to our business partners, allowing them to achieve their goals.
Oversees all aspects and day-to-day activities of application management and support arrangements. Ideally, the candidate is from an application development background. Coordinates with business owners, project managers, quality assurance, infrastructure and vendors to prioritize the upgrades, enhancement requests and support issues. Translates strategic goals to action plan and helps in implementation. Identifies risks and mitigation strategies. The candidate must be able to work in a varied, fast-paced environment and support multiple concurrent initiatives; the individual in this role should ideally possess technical skills articulated below whereby he/she can provide leadership and technical expertise to triage, prioritize and implement.
- Coordinate on-going production support and maintenance for packaged applications across multiple group companies
- Establish, measure and report KPI for each application area
- Ensure resolution of support and maintenance tickets per established SLAs.
- Follow the established release management process
- Lead/participate in the hardware/software/system upgrades
- Lead the analysis, design and technical implementation of projects.
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of SDLC artifacts related to implementation
- Ensure complete and accurate analysis and translate functional specifications into technical specifications
- Identify synergies and enforce reusability and consistent development standards across various projects.
- Set priorities, provide guidance & strategic direction, driving several projects simultaneously
- Provide reporting of project statuses to project management and leadership.
- Manage effective communication between business units, technical teams, senior leadership and service providers.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of control measures to evaluate the value-proposition offered by various applications and vendors
- Performs general managerial duties including hiring, training, coaching, and terminating.
- Performs annual reviews.
- Advises and guides team in effective management of their assigned projects.
- Represent team recommendations to Senior Management, demonstrate influence over governance bodies, and communicate effectively via formal presentations.
- Manages, resolves and escalates issues—as appropriate—to upper management.
- Directs involvement in large, complex, highly visible projects.
- Ensures that project and operational documents are complete, current, and stored appropriately.
- Required to learn and follow company policies and procedures.
- Manages and reports on capacity, throughput and team structure/skillsets.
- Serves as focal point of communication for major service outages/escalations.
- Complies with proper internal controls as necessary to conduct job functions and/or carry out responsibilities and/or administrative activities at the Company.
- Build strong relationships with business and technology leaders. Understand business area opportunities and challenges, process or system impacts to all related business or systems areas when implementing recommended solution to obtain business objectives.
- Performs special projects and other duties as may be assigned.
Degree / Licenses and Professional Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, MIS or a related technical discipline
- 8+ years of experience in Software Development, System Engineering or Information Management
- Experience with leading application providers in Insurance Industry – Insurity, OneShield, Sapiens, Hyland, Vertafore, EMC or similar.
- Experience in monitoring Contractual Agreements, maintaining documentation and implementation of standards, process and metrics tracking.
- Experience with a formalized Systems Development Life Cycle process/policy
- Experience providing application development services to deliver customer services across one or more business lines for multiple projects
- Experience implementing or supporting multiple systems integration points
- Experience working with offshore or managed services model
- Experience assigning, delegating and directing the work of the team.
- Experience in providing shared services to multiple clients is preferred
- Experience managing team of developers and offshore resources is preferred
- Strong understanding of enterprise applications and integrations
- Strong technical/functional understanding of Insurance applications
- Knowledge of organizational politics and political tactics; ability to effectively navigate formal and informal communication and decision-making channels.
- Knowledge, insight, and understanding of business concepts and processes that are needed for making sound decisions in the context of the company's business; ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations.
- Complete understanding of software development life cycle management practices and methodologies
- Knowledge of the latest requirements analysis best practices and tools used throughout the industry
- Strong knowledge of build, release and configuration management practices
- Strong understanding of change management, incidence management and problem management service areas
- Knowledge of HP Application Lifecycle Management is a plus
- Possesses excellent organizational skills and ability to work independently.
- Strong writing and communication skills, including effective listening, speaking, writing, and presenting.
- Strong customer service orientation toward Business Units requiring technical consultation (responsive, consultative, collaborative and accurate).
- Strong leadership skills; able to work with a group to set its objectives and agenda, generate allegiance to those objectives, and guide and motivate achievement.
- Strong project management skills: Plan, organize, monitor, and control projects, ensuring efficient utilization of resources, to achieve project objectives and deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal relationship building skills: able to work with a variety of people and groups in a constructive and collaborative manner.
- Demonstrates ability to define, manage and improve processes
- Strong analytical ability with the capability to determine the root cause of problems in technical and non-technical domains and provide solutions.
- Ability to maintain enterprise-wide awareness and think at various levels, ranging from high concept to low detail
- Ability to weigh business needs against security concerns and articulate to management.
- Strategic thinking; Applies organizational acumen to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for the organization.
- Ability to discuss advantages and disadvantages of a specific requirements elicitation and presentation approaches
- Superior attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple, competing, frequently changing time-sensitive deadlines and priorities
- Ability to work independently and without supervision
- Ability to work and lead effectively as part of a team (onsite or remote).
- Ability to think “outside of the box” for process improvement recommendations
- Ability to handle ambiguity, juggle many tasks at once and quickly shift from one situation or task to another; adapt to changing situations with ease and adjust schedules to meet deadlines
Tokio Marine Group of Companies (including, but not limited to the Philadelphia Insurance Companies, Tokio Marine America, Inc., TMNA Services, LLC and First Insurance Company of Hawaii, Ltd.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to remain competitive we must attract, develop, motivate, and retain the most qualified employees regardless of age, color, race, religion, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, family circumstances, life experiences, marital status, military status, sexual orientation and/or any other status protected by law.