Senior Business Analyst
Bala Cynwyd, PA
February 20, 2018
At Tokio Marine North America Services, we provide professional support services to the Tokio Marine Group of companies in the United States, including Tokio Marine America Inc., the First Insurance Company of Hawaii, and the Philadelphia Insurance Companies. Among our professional service offerings are actuarial, financial, audit, payroll, human resources, legal, information technology, investment expertise and Corporate Communications. At TMNAS, customer service is our focus and our passion! At TMNAS, we strive to add value in all that we do, providing the best professional service to our business partners, allowing them to achieve their goals.
This role is an integral part of the TMNAS business analyst team supporting the analysis and development of Guidewire’s PolicyCenter application for Philadelphia Insurance Company. This role will work with our dedicated product owners and subject matter experts to solicit, analyze, and document business needs. This position will support the configuration and/or integration efforts and will work with a team comprised of architects, developers, and quality assurance resources to facilitate the development of business requirements within the framework of a Guidewire product. This position will also operate in an agile environment where he/she will own user stories that have been properly scoped and groomed and will manage those stories through their life cycle of requirements, development, testing, and demo/signoff.
The candidate should have prior experience in the property & casualty industry supporting at least one of the business areas inherent to an insurance company; with prior Policy experience preferred. The ideal candidate will have prior experience working in an agile framework using scrum methodology and with one of the Guidewire products. The candidate will need to be skilled in interacting with multiple levels of management/leadership as well as working within a collaborative scrum team to meet sprint deliverables.
- Analyze and document current “as is” business and technology processes
- Facilitate sessions geared at scoping high-level business requirements for the configuration and/or integration streams and technical requirements for the integration stream
- Understand current “out of the box” functionality in the vendor application and compare to high level requirements, noting any gaps that may exist
- Conduct detailed requirements gathering sessions with product owners and scrum team to capture changes necessary in the application to meet business needs
- Demonstrate “out of the box” functionality to the product owners and scrum team as part of requirements gathering sessions to determine the feasibility of “out of the box”
- For integration specific efforts, work with technical leads and subject matter experts of the various upstream and downstream systems responsible for receiving and/or sending data in support of Policy processes and other impacted Phly processes
- For integration specific efforts, work collaboratively with architecture during the high level design phase
- Deliver completed requirements documents at a user story level to development and QA resources and support the development and testing efforts through the life cycle of each user story
- Define acceptance criteria as part of requirements
- Conduct story level demos of completed stories to product owners within sprints and conduct sprint level demo at the conclusion of each sprint to project stakeholders and interested parties
- Work with the scrum master to solicit requirements approval and demo approval as part of the SDLC process
- Review test strategy and test scenarios for QA resources and provide testing support for applicable stories
- Participate in the scrum practices of story sizing, sprint planning, daily stand-ups, sprint end demos, and team retrospectives
- Work with the scrum master and product owners to assist in backlog grooming and identifying story scope
- Work collaboratively with the scrum team to deliver sprint backlog as committed to by the team
- Adhere to project procedures (template usage, requirements change management, defect management, Rally time reporting) as defined by the BA manager and/or program management team
- Participate in and support end user training, as required for eventual product implementation
- Complies with proper internal controls as necessary to conduct job functions and/or carry out responsibilities and/or administrative activities at the Company.
Degree / Licenses and Professional Certifications
- Bachelor Degree (preferably in MIS, IT, or Business)
- Insurance knowledge/certifications preferred.
- Prior P&C experience preferred
- 10+ years’ experience in analysis and documentation of requirements required.
- Project management skills preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communications
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Experience writing business requirements and functional specs
- Experience with UML
- Ability to lead JAD Sessions
- Experience with UI/design specs/wireframes
- Prior experience with projects that were managed in an agile environment using scrum is preferred
- Ability to lead and manage small/medium projects
- Familiarity with BABOK and its methodology
- Experience and knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Visio, Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated knowledge of SDLC
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities to work within a scrum team to manage and deliver potentially shippable product each sprint
- Clear and concise writing skills to represent information in graphical and textual format to product owners, program management and scrum teams
- Project management skills to manage multiple stories within a sprint and meet sprint deliverables
- Strong time management skills to deliver timely requirements and work collaboratively with the development and QA resources to meet a story’s definition of done within a sprint
- Strong interpersonal, advocacy and negotiation skills to advise product owners and business of potential solutions while working within the framework of a Guidewire product
- Strong facilitation and communication skills to conduct successful requirements gathering sessions, capture business needs, and present relevant questions
- Strong analytical skills to develop an in-depth knowledge of both “out of the box” functionality and PHLY specific processes and requirements
- Strong customer service orientation (responsive, consultative, collaborative and accurate).
- Ability to write business requirements and functional specifications
- Strong analytical ability with the capability to determine the root cause of problems and issues and provide solutions
- Strategic thinking; applies organizational acumen to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for the organization
- Superior attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple, competing, frequently changing time-sensitive deadlines and priorities
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
Tokio Marine Group of Companies (including, but not limited to the Philadelphia Insurance Companies, Tokio Marine America, Inc., TMNA Services, LLC and First Insurance Company of Hawaii, Ltd.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to remain competitive we must attract, develop, motivate, and retain the most qualified employees regardless of age, color, race, religion, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, family circumstances, life experiences, marital status, military status, sexual orientation and/or any other status protected by law.