Senior Programmer, OLAP Developer
Bala Cynwyd, PA
February 12, 2018
At Tokio Marine North American Services, we provide professional support services to the Tokio Marine Group of companies in the United States, including Tokio Marine America Inc., the First Insurance Company of Hawaii, and the Philadelphia Insurance Companies. Among our professional service offerings are actuarial, financial, audit, payroll, human resources, legal, information technology, investment expertise and Corporate Communications. At TMNAS, customer service is our focus and our passion! At TMNAS, we strive to add value in all that we do, providing the best professional service to our business partners, allowing them to achieve their goals.
As a member of our information management team the OLAP Developer is responsible for the design, development, and support of new and existing OLAP Cubes. This position utilizes industry standards and best practices to facilitate dissemination of data to our business partners and the use, analysis, and consumption of information from various data repositories. The OLAP Developer will work with multiple groups within IT and the business to interpret requirements and develop creative solutions to assist in the use of information assets. Through project participation, assisting in evaluating the proper methods for publication of information, and provide insight into the evolution of OLAP technology within the industry, the OLAP developer plays a pivotal role in information delivery to the organization.
- Working with business partners and technical teams; plan, design, and implement effective and scalable Business Intelligence (BI) solutions utilizing MS SSAS.
- Champion the use of Business Intelligence solutions within the organization. Provide education for staff on use, best practices, and self-service.
- Provide support for user facing analytical tools such as Excel, SSRS, Tableau, and Power BI.
- Assist in development of and maintenance of conceptual, logical, physical data models as well as supplemental documentation for the enterprise data warehouse and OLAP environments.
- Develop, implement, and tune complex queries constructed with SQL/MDX / DMX.
- Cube maintenance including partitioning and performance optimization.
- Design of standards, guidelines and best practices for business groups and technical teams as it pertains to OLAP toolsets and usage.
- Work with ETL developers to incorporate new data elements from source databases into the data warehouse, as needed.
- Work with the data warehouse systems to insure data integrity, quality, and accuracy and suggests opportunities for improvement.
- Understand in theory and apply in practice all phases of SDLC from system analysis and design thru development and test to deployment and support.
Degree / Licenses and Professional Certifications
BS/BA degree in Computer Science or related field preferred. Prior insurance work related experience preferably in the P&C sector. Current knowledge of insurance industry technology trends such as ACORD and /or IBM’s IAA data models.
- Minimum 3 years prior experience focused in OLAP cube design, development, review, and testing with additional experience in one or more of the following areas: ETL, database development, data modeling, data architecture, data warehouse development, business intelligence, data profiling, database performance and optimization. 5-7 years of overall I.T. experience.
· MSSAS or other OLAP toolset development experience. Understanding of structuring dimension hierarchies and attribute relationships, cube perspectives and partitioning.
· Experience with loading dimensional and relational data structures through prior practical use of SSIS or Informatica. Candidates with experience in other ETL technologies such as Talend, Pentaho, Datastage, etc. having the proven ability to learn new technologies will be considered. Experience with Informatica is preferred.
· Experience with agile development methodologies and source control repositories.
· Background in statistics and/or quantitative analysis.
· Experience with Excel Pivot spreadsheets and Power BI.
- Knowledge of activities, tasks, practices, and deliverables associated with eliciting and clearly defining and documenting required business functionality as well as non-functional requirements.
- Strong knowledge of the data governance and data management concepts and practices
- Strong knowledge of the concepts and best practices for ETL development
- High proficiency in understanding relational data models
- Knowledge of activities, tasks, practices, deliverables and techniques for implementing new or enhance integrations into a production environment.
- Knowledge of software development lifecycle methodologies for planning and executing application development, enhancement, or support.
- Knowledge of approaches, tools, techniques for recognizing, anticipating, and resolving organizational, operational, or process problems, ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations.
- Knowledge of approaches, tools, and techniques for design and development of paper-based and online technical reference documentation, guidelines, standards, procedures, processes, applications, etc.
- Knowledge of HP Application Lifecycle Management is a plus
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Strong customer service orientation; (responsive, consultative, collaborative and accurate).
- Strong interpersonal relationship building skills: able to work with a variety of people and groups in a constructive and collaborative manner.
· Ability to decompose complex business requirements into technical specifications and communicate technical recommendations back to business analysts and users.
- Strong analytical ability with the capability to determine the root cause of problems and issues and provide solutions.
- Strategic thinking; Applies organizational acumen to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for the organization.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Strong drive to execute and deliver.
- Ability to juggle multiple, competing, frequently changing time-sensitive deadlines and priorities.
- Ability to work effectively and collaborate with other integration teams to share and cultivate any changes needed.
- Ability to work independently and without supervision.
Tokio Marine Group of Companies (including, but not limited to the Philadelphia Insurance Companies, Tokio Marine America, Inc., TMNA Services, LLC and First Insurance Company of Hawaii, Ltd.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to remain competitive we must attract, develop, motivate, and retain the most qualified employees regardless of age, color, race, religion, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, family circumstances, life experiences, marital status, military status, sexual orientation and/or any other status protected by law.